Employment Legal Counsel
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for its employees?
Our Group Legal Department is a dedicated in-house team based at our head office in Croydon, UK and other offices around the globe. The Legal Department is responsible for providing legal services and advice on all matters associated with Mott MacDonald's activities globally.
We're looking for a proactive and enthusiastic Employment Legal Counsel to join our legal team to help advise on a wide range of employment law matters associated with Mott MacDonald's global activities. This is a broad and exciting role with exposure to many different jurisdictions. We love a challenge and this role will give you valuable experience in a business that holds a large and diverse global footprint. We adopt a pioneering mindset, working collaboratively with a global network of legal experts to meet challenges head on.
Reporting to the Group Employment Legal Counsel, this role will support the Mott MacDonald Group globally and the successful candidate will have a willingness to assist the businesses in obtaining the required advice in a timely and cost efficient manner. The successful candidate will have practical and commercial UK employment law experience gained in private practice or in-house.
You will have the opportunity to gain a variety of experience both in supporting the HR teams globally and also working alongside colleagues in the Legal Department and the wider business in relation to various matters such as the likely application of TUPE, providing corporate support in respect of acquisitions and supporting the Group with progressing projects of importance.
This role would preferably be based in Croydon or Birmingham, although as a business, we have embraced agile working and we would consider candidates, who are based in other locations around the UK, with a willingness to visit Croydon from time to time.
- Providing practical and strategic legal advice to HR and business unit managers on a wide range of contentious and non contentious employment law issues predominantly in the UK but also across multiple jurisdictions
- Liaising with HR leads to ensure a consistent approach to employment-related issues within the Group;
- Advising on and drafting employment documents including employment contracts, procedures and employment law guidance notes;
- Working with external counsel to ensure compliance with local labour laws
- Supporting with disciplinary processes, employment grievances, and investigations
- Handling and advising in relation to disputes including employee claims and breaches of restrictive covenants and confidentiality provisions.
- Reviewing the employment provisions within commercial agreements and advising on the application of TUPE.
- Supporting colleagues in the Group Legal Department and other functions;
- Providing employment law training;
- Qualified solicitor in England and Wales extensive post-qualification experience in employment law gained either in private practice or in house.
- Experience of advising on complex employment matters, internal investigations and employee relations issues.
- Cross boarder experience would be advantageous
- Great analytical skills and excellent legal knowledge
- Experience of providing advice in relation to service provisions changes under TUPE and assisting in relation to corporate acquisitions would be advantageous.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, a confident and personable manner with a hands-on, can-do approach
- Ability to prioritise and organise a heavy and demanding caseload.
- Ability to develop relationships across the business and regions and value a team-orientated working style.
- Ability to communicate effectively and confidently with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Ability to work autonomously or as part of a wider group.