Structural Engineer - Water Consultancy
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for its employees?
The success of Mott MacDonald's Water Division owes much to the drive, dedication, and professional calibre of our experienced team of structural, civil, process, mechanical and electrical engineers who provide cutting-edge infrastructure design services for the Water and Wastewater industry.
As a Structural Engineer in our Water Division, you will be a key part of our multidisciplinary team of technical specialists, delivering projects in close partnership with key clients and contractors. You will work in established teams to deliver the technical design of innovative and sustainable solutions on challenging and high-profile projects for clients such as key UK water companies, D&B Contractors, and the Environment Agency.
The key elements of the role will include:
- Delivering design work from concept through construction, inspections and construction site support on major water and wastewater projects.
- Structural Design: Undertake loading assessments, structural analysis using engineering software (such as ROBOT, STAAD and TEDDS) as well as producing hand calculations for the structural design of reinforced structures.
- Quality: Produce and review deliverables, including calculations, drawings, technical reports, method statements and risk assessments to relevant standards and procedures.
- Delivery: Support the preparation of project budget and programme. Take responsibility for delivering to agreed budget, programme, and quality.
- Collaboration: Co-ordinating with other technical disciplines to develop innovative solutions and representing the company/team at technical meetings with clients and colleagues.
- Mentoring junior colleagues with their technical and professional development.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and motivated structural engineer with the following attributes:
- Qualifications: degree in civil and/or structural engineering ideally Chartered with ICE and/or IStructE (or working towards Chartership or equivalent experience).
- Strong technical skills: experience in preparing conceptual, outline and detailed structural designs for typical water industry infrastructure, such as water-retaining reinforced concrete structures and foundations, for both the clean water and wastewater industries. Although this is an essential skill, for the right candidate development support, training and mentoring can be offered.
- Conversant with the structural Eurocodes and a knowledge of the structural British Standards.
- Good organisational skills and the ability to communicate effectively and professionally with colleagues, wider design teams, clients, and contractors.
- A good working knowledge of geotechnical aspects associated with the design of structures.
- Experience of structural inspections/assets and developing appropriate remedial recommendations.
- Some experience / knowledge of structural steelwork, masonry design and concrete mix specification.
- Experience of working in a digital delivery environment using BIM and 3D design tools.
One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, Mott MacDonald is a multisector consultancy providing engineering, management, and development services on projects in 150 countries. With over 16,000 of the best people working on a diverse range of challenges, we're helping our clients deliver sustainable infrastructure and development solutions. We have a collegiate and collaborative culture which values equality and diversity, and we take proactive steps to create an inclusive workplace. Together, we are opening opportunities with connected thinking. If this sounds like somewhere you'd like to work, click apply to continue with your application.