Location: Portsmouth, Reading
Job Type: Full time
SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £20.5 billion in low carbon projects to 2027, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
Join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
About the Role
Base Location: Havant or Reading
Salary: £39,415 - £45,136 + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent Full Time Flexible First options available
SSE Networks Distribution Digital team provides IT application and development support for a large number of diverse applications. This role supports our Digital Strategy and Vision to be a progressive network owner, using digital to enhance social and economic value, deliver a leading experience for our customers and to enable the energy system to support net zero carbon emissions.
This role is predominantly based around the support of the SSEN Distribution commercial systems involving basic UNIX, simple shell scripting, Oracle databases including basic SQL and general adhoc application support.
As a Junior Developer, your main role will be to learn and develop the skills required to support and maintain software applications, platforms and systems, and to configure and support off-the-shelf software products to meet the needs of the business.
Key requirements in this role will include:
- Collaborating with stakeholders to understand user requirements and business needs.
- Supporting and testing software solutions to meet those requirements and needs.
- Maintaining technical documentation, including user manuals and technical specifications.
- Following best practices for software support, including source control and testing methodologies.
What do I need?
To be eligible for this position, we are looking for candidates with existing skills or a strong interest in acquiring the following:
- Some understanding of software analysis, support and design, ideally also having some basic UNIX and SQL query skills.
- Experience in effectively collaborating with both technical and non-technical people, displaying a willingness to be part of a team dedicated to supporting software applications.
- Some understanding of the software support / development life cycle.
- A proactive approach with the ability to prioritise your own workload within demanding schedules and a systematic, disciplined and analytical approach to problem solving.
- A willingness to be mentored and learn any skills required to fulfil the role and to stay up to date.
About our Business
SSE IT underpins the technology needs of all the different businesses that make up the SSE group. From emerging technologies to data and analytics to cyber security - we power SSE's growth and enable it to generate value, while keeping it secure. As a trusted business partner that helps SSE lead in a low carbon world, we are proud of our service. Working for SSE IT is all about equipping SSE for now and the future.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 01738 341814.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.