Location: Highland Council, Perth and Kinross, Renfrewshire
Job Type: Full time
SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £20.5 billion in low carbon projects to 2027, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
Join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
About the Role
Base Location: Inverness, Perth or Glasgow - the role may require travel to project locations as and when required.
Salary: £ 45,400 to £68,200 + car / allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
What is the role?
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an Estimator/Cost Engineer to join our Commercial Performance Team supporting the Procurement and Commercial activities for the Networks Transmission business.
SSEN Transmission are developing a number of bespoke projects including those relating to future Island and Offshore Connections and large onshore reinforcement capital expenditure projects. These include electrical substation infrastructure, overhead lines, underground cable and associated civils in addition to the ever expanding HVDC technology.
- You will be required to provide quality cost and estimating knowledge for use in building up project estimates. Have experience benchmarking and the use of cost metrics and historic analysis
- All work will be subject to review by peers, internal governance and by the regulators Ofgem
- You will take a lead role in the development of cost and volume reporting including support with any new digital cost / data analysis / estimating solutions
- You will also be expected to have high level of communication and presentation skills as you will be required to engage with senior stakeholders within the SSEN Transmission Business
- You will support the development of future estimating rates through the detailed analysis of live supply chain data and tender returns.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Experience in the estimating of large, complex, multi discipline construction works
- You will be able to combine strong commercial and technical acumen with well-developed interpersonal, problem-solving, communication and negotiation skills with demonstrable experience in cost and asset data collection and analysis.
- Be comfortable working with a multi-skilled team consisting of Project Managers, Engineers and Designers to develop and increase the accuracy of the project cost estimate.
- Ability to understand electrical drawings, having worked in or around HV Plant will be beneficial
- Ability to work to tight deadlines, under pressure whilst still delivering quality output and prioritise requirements where necessary. A keen eye to detail is a must as well as the ability to work methodically through a demanding workload.
About our Business
At SSE, we own more than 500 property assets and several thousand land assets, which are located across the length and breadth of the UK and Ireland. Our Procurement & Commercial, Property and Facilities Management teams are responsible for helping the business to procure services and materials in a timely and cost-effective way, and for ensuring SSE offers a safe, modern, fit-for-purpose property portfolio. We work right across the SSE Group, ensuring our businesses gets the best possible service and value from our supplier network, as well as ensuring all service providers are compliant and continue to meet contractual obligations and business need.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 01738 344763.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.