Software Engineer (Golang) - Energy
Utility Warehouse Limited
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Hello, we're UW
We’re a bunch of great people, working together, disrupting the utilities industry. Utility Warehouse is a truly unique FTSE 250 company. Our business model puts real social impact at its heart. We take the headache out of essential home services by bundling them all in one place. One provider, one account, one bill and lots of savings. Simple!
Technology at UW
For our customers and partners, UW just needs to work; There when you need it, and invisible when you don’t – just like flicking a switch. Our proposition is simple to our customers but for our technology teams, the behind-the-scenes complexity is what makes it so interesting. Learn more about life in our Tech teams here.
We work in small, fully autonomous teams that have real ownership of their products. We use the best tool for the job and constantly look for better. Our current tech stack includes:
- React Native
- Docker & Kubernetes for deployments
- Go (Backend)
- Kafka (Backend)
If there’s a technology here you’ve not worked with yet see this as a learning opportunity. We seek out curious, life-long learners!
The Smart Energy team's mission is to install & activate smart meters and maintain accurate device data for this crucial aspect of a future-proof, green UK energy solution. Our customers are both our end-users interacting with us via web and app, and our internal business users requiring access to data and troubleshooting smart meter issues. We're just finishing up a project to improve self-service journeys for customers to install smart meters, and we're about to dive into some integration and refactoring work to enable more automation and better efficiency for our users
In this role, you can expect to -
- Design, build, test and deploy Go event-driven microservices on Kubernetes in the context of the Identity and Access Management platform.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of our ways of working. Identify pain-points and propose improvements.
- Own the whole software delivery process, from ideation through to in-life support and monitoring.
The engineering team at UW are highly-visible, consumer facing and delivery-focused. You’ll need to be prepared to work at pace and be comfortable with constant iteration, whilst working in a regulatory ecosystem.
We are seeking an individual with natural curiosity and an inherent drive to explore. You'll thrive in unfamiliar territories, unafraid to dive in and get hands-on. Your forte lies in envisioning the bigger picture, looking beyond immediate tasks to craft holistic solutions. A 'devops mindset' defines you, acknowledging your responsibility in not just writing code but also ensuring its smooth operation.
You'll be self aware and emotionally intelligent.
Your skills & experience
- PostgreSQL/ CockroachDB
- Systems design and software architecture (high availability and fault tolerant)
- DevOps experience (software engineers are expected to run the software that they build)
What’s in it for you
UK based workers get the following benefits:
- Competitive, benchmarked salary
- Flexible/ remote working
- Share options -giving you ownership in the business
- 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays
- Life Assurance up to 4 x your salary
- Private pension scheme
- Discounted UW services (30% mobile & broadband, 10% energy & insurance)
- A free UW cashback card - earning you cashback on all your spending!
- Discounted healthcare & medical cash plans
- A free virtual GP service
- Save As You Earn Scheme
- A range of Health & Wellbeing benefits including a confidential Employee Assistance Programme, virtual fitness classes and wellness tools
- Access to Spark – a holistic approach to learning and development created by UW to empower your personal and professional growth. You’ll have huge opportunities for exposure & development through involvement in a range of projects as we scale up as well as access to professional training relevant to your role.
- Regular team and company social events
Please note: Benefits and Terms may differ if you are not a UK-based employee
We provide equal opportunities, a diverse and inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone. You are welcome to apply no matter your age, disability, gender, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
Please note, if you are applying for a role which involves having access to personal data, you will be subject to a background check. Where checks are unsatisfactory or incomplete and/or a failure to reveal information relating to convictions that you are required to identify as part of the background checks, could lead to withdrawal of an offer of employment.