Senior Database Administrator
Location: Remote -
Job Type: Full time
At Cisco Meraki, we know that technology can connect, empower, and drive us. Our mission is to simplify technology so our customers can focus on what's most meaningful to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. We’re making networking easier, faster, and smarter with technology that simply works. We maintain a positive relationship with Cisco that gives us the stability and resources of a larger company without sacrificing our startup vibe.
Our devices are some of the most popular in the world: there are over 7 million devices online globally. This popularity comes with large scalability challenges: our backend handles more than 10 billion of requests to our devices 24/7/365!
About the role
In near real time, Cisco Meraki collects massive amounts of data from its devices all over the world. We write nearly 7 million data points each second globally every day. This data, helps power our Dashboard and gives our customers insight into the state of their networks. As a member of the Data Infrastructure team, you will administer, scale, secure, and maintain our on-prem relational and non-relational database systems. You will work with all Engineering teams throughout Cisco Meraki guiding them towards best practices to meet the data requirements for their use cases.
What you will do:
- Work alongside our SRE teams to plan, administer, maintain and secure our PostgreSQL infrastructure across our backend
- Perform operational DBA duties: installation, database upgrades, patching, implement backup/recovery and monitoring procedures, capacity planning, and site failover/switchover
- Ensure systems are running at the highest possible performance level by analyzing and tuning queries
- Guide engineers on performance tuning and optimization, query optimization, index tuning, caching, buffer tuning, etc.
- Review database changes requested by engineering teams for impacts to database designs, design standards, data conversions, naming standards, and documentation
- Learn about the data and it’s use to make recommendations for improvements in how it is stored and processed
- Work with Data Engineering team to design, build and maintain ETL pipelines for PG
- Develop procedures and scripts for data migration
- Automate schema management with tools like Liquibase, ActiveRecords, etc.
- Support architectural changes with new database environments in both public and private clouds
- Deep knowledge and experience designing and maintaining PostgreSQL infrastructure On-prem and in cloud
- Experience building and maintaining complex, critical production database systems
- Experience analyzing issues holistically, from the application tier through the database, down to the storage
- Proven track record of automating tasks
- Working knowledge of relational database internals (locking, consistency, serialization, recovery paths)
- Systems engineering experience, including Linux performance, memory management, I/O tuning, configuration, security, networking, etc.
- Knowledge of at least one scripting language (shell, Python, Perl)
Nice to have
- Experience with NoSQL databases, memory stores e.g. Redis
- Experience migrating database from on-prem to cloud and vice versa
- Experience with messaging queues
We encourage you to drop us a line even if you don’t have all the points above. That's a lot of different areas of responsibility! We will help you pick them up because we believe that great engineers come from diverse backgrounds.
Life at Cisco Meraki
We are passionate about building real products that our customers love. We are confident you will love it here.
As a Cisco Meraki employee you can expect:
- A supportive and fun environment and a team that values your contributions. The Backend Group is called the Exploding Whales. Interested to learn why? Just message us.
- A lot of opportunities for professional and personal growth via employee-led groups. Check out one of our groups — Women of Meraki on Twitter and Instagram.
- Actionable and candid feedback on a regular basis following Radical Candor.
- Paid time off to volunteer, and much more.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Cisco Covid-19 Vaccination Policy
The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco may require new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if the role requires business-related travel, meeting with customers/partners (including visiting third-party sites on behalf of Cisco), attending trade events, and Cisco office entry, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region.