Location: Perth and Kinross, Renfrewshire
Job Type: Full time
SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £20.5 billion in low carbon projects to 2027, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
Join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
About the Role
Base Location: Perth / Glasgow
Salary: £45k - £55k DOE + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
This role will be responsible for supporting the financial aspects of the Digital Investment programme at an exciting time of growth within the industry. As a natural monopoly, our Transmission business is subject to regulatory oversight by the industry regulator, Ofgem. As such we have a 'Regulatory Contract' (referred often to as a Regulatory Licence) in which we are required to comply with a number of obligations and underpins our financial and business performance drivers.
We are currently in the third year of this 5 year price control for Electricity Transmission (RIIO-T2). We have a long term plan to take the business forward as we look towards RIIO-T3 and deliver our RIIO-T2 commitments to support the overall Group. We are on course to invest over £4bn in our RIIO-T2 period and have committed to delivering a minimum of c£80m of Digital capabilities to help drive efficient, new ways of working and to enable and support SSE Transmission become a digital led business. This is part of delivering an ambitious 5 year business plan that will continue to support the transition to a low carbon energy world for the UK and the pathway to net zero emissions by 2050.
This role will require the candidate to support the Transmission Digital Investment programme working closely as part of a small team with Transmission Investment Finance Managers, Digital and Cyber Resilience Operational Technology colleagues and other key internal stakeholders. The Digital programme is key to unlocking new ways of working and enables Transmission to achieve the goal of being a leading digitalised company. This requires significant financial discipline to underpin decision making and drive value and efficiency. The need to understand how Digital programmes are delivered and the nature of our regulatory obligations under our RIIO price controls is necessary to succeed in this role. Working closely with the Project Managers and Finance Managers for Transmission Investment will be key, as well as providing the support and challenge to finance and operational colleagues.
You will provide financial guidance to the digital programme to ensure the outcome is managed to deliver outcomes in line with our licence obligations. The individual will be required to work on their own initiative, understand complex issues, problem solve and convey this succinctly and clearly to inform decisions and strategy. This is a varied and challenging role and is very much seen as a digital project accountant role that will support the Digital Project teams with financial management of projects along with other responsibilities:
- Assist Digital Project Managers with financial management of projects, including reviewing commitments, month end close and ensuring robust challenge of project forecasting.
- Reviewing digital investment, ensuring project spend approval is made in line with financial authorisation procedures and justified in line with programme outcome and licence requirements.
- Develop a detailed knowledge of the Digital Governance Framework, ensuring timely delivery of financial information and compliance with the Framework.
- Develop a detailed knowledge of Digital Change Control process, including timely identification of financial implications and ensuring these implications are reflected in forecast and project costs.
- Completing Digital investment appraisals and reviewing business cases to aid in optimising the digital investment programme.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Appropriate Accounting qualification (ICAS, ICAEW, ACCA, CIMA or CIPFA).
- Have experience and knowledge of working with Digital capital investments and options assessments.
- Experience of creating and delivering reports to finance and non-finance colleagues, conveying messages which can be complex.
- Be pro-active and diligent in your approach and be willing to undertake challenging tasks sometimes beyond your 'comfort zone'.
- Able to work to tight timescales, under pressure and deliver to a high standard.
About our Business
Our SSE Finance function has a key part to play in fulfilling SSE's obligations as a UK-listed company, providing expertise and services that can be shared across the SSE Group, and working in partnership with all businesses to provide services tailored to their specific needs. SSE operates in a highly regulated and increasingly competitive environment, and our role is to ensure that we gather, compile, analyse and recommend on the financial strategy for our businesses, identifying opportunities to drive efficiencies and create value for SSE now, and in the future.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Francesca on firstname.lastname@example.org / 01738 344763.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.