Frontend Engineer (React) - Customer Support
Utility Warehouse Limited
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Hello, we're UW
We’re a bunch of great people, working together, disrupting the utilities industry. Utility Warehouse is a truly unique FTSE 250 company. Our business model puts real social impact at its heart. We take the headache out of essential home services by bundling them all in one place. One provider, one account, one bill and lots of savings. Simple!
Technology at UW
For our customers and partners, UW just needs to work; There when you need it, and invisible when you don’t – just like flicking a switch. Our proposition is simple to our customers but for our technology teams, the behind-the-scenes complexity is what makes it so interesting. Learn more about life in our Tech teams here.
We work in small, fully autonomous teams that have real ownership of their products. We use the best tool for the job and constantly look for better. Our current tech stack includes:
- React Native
- Docker & Kubernetes for deployments
- Go (Backend)
- Kafka (Backend)
If there’s a technology here you’ve not worked with yet see this as a learning opportunity. We seek out curious, life-long learners!
The engineering team at UW are highly-visible, consumer facing and delivery-focused. You’ll need to be prepared to work at pace and be comfortable with constant iteration, whilst working in a regulatory ecosystem.
We are seeking an individual with natural curiosity and an inherent drive to explore. You'll thrive in unfamiliar territories, unafraid to dive in and get hands-on. Your forte lies in envisioning the bigger picture, looking beyond immediate tasks to craft holistic solutions. A 'DevOps mindset' defines you, acknowledging your responsibility in not just writing code but also ensuring its smooth operation.
You'll be self aware and emotionally intelligent.
Your skills & experience
- Design System Implementation
- Component Driven Development
In this role, you can expect to -
- Balance the maintenance and continued evolution of our complex Frontend systems, with development of new features working closely with a full stack team and UX.
- Dive into the component modernisation.
- Using modern Frontend technologies (React, TypeScript, GraphQL etc.) and an opportunity to influence its direction.
- Consistently produces work according to expected timetables and scope (while shedding lower-value scope when necessary to meet timelines).
- Mentors Associate Software Engineers via pairing, design review, and code review
What we're looking for -
- Inquisitive, collaborative and highly communicative.
- The ability to deal with uncertainty and be self directed / motivated to make an impact.
- Experience working in an agile environment and collaborate across the whole SDLC.
- An understanding of component driven development, and “design system” implementation.
- A good understanding of our Frontend tech stack (React, Typescript, GraphQL).
- Strong technical capabilities and ability to write functional, performant and well tested code.
What’s in it for you
UK based workers get the following benefits:
- Competitive, benchmarked salary
- Flexible/ remote working
- Share options -giving you ownership in the business
- 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays
- Life Assurance up to 4 x your salary
- Private pension scheme
- Discounted UW services (30% mobile & broadband, 10% energy & insurance)
- A free UW cashback card - earning you cashback on all your spending!
- Discounted healthcare & medical cash plans
- A free virtual GP service
- Save As You Earn Scheme
- A range of Health & Wellbeing benefits including a confidential Employee Assistance Programme, virtual fitness classes and wellness tools
- Access to Spark – a holistic approach to learning and development created by UW to empower your personal and professional growth. You’ll have huge opportunities for exposure & development through involvement in a range of projects as we scale up as well as access to professional training relevant to your role.
- Regular team and company social events
Please note: Benefits and Terms may differ if you are not a UK-based employee
We provide equal opportunities, a diverse and inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone. You are welcome to apply no matter your age, disability, gender, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
Please note, if you are applying for a role which involves having access to personal data, you will be subject to a background check. Where checks are unsatisfactory or incomplete and/or a failure to reveal information relating to convictions that you are required to identify as part of the background checks, could lead to withdrawal of an offer of employment.